REQUIREMENTS & INSTRUCTIONS - GUARD EMPLOYEE REGISTRATION
Access this form via website at: http://cca.hawaii.gov/pvl/files/2013/06/Require-Instruct-App-for-Guard-Employee-Reg-for-Act-208_10.14R.pdf
In 2010, the Legislature established new training requirements for guards in HRS chapter 463 (see, Act 208, SLH 2010).
Pursuant to HRS section 463-10.5, effective July 1, 2013, all guards, and all agents, operatives, and assistants employed by a guard agency, private business entity, or government agency who act in a guard capacity shall apply to register with the Board, and meet the following registration, instruction, and training requirements prior to acting as a guard:
1. Be not less than eighteen (18) years of age;
2. Possess a high school education or its equivalent;
3. Not be presently suffering from any psychiatric or psychological disorder which is directly related and detrimental to a person's performance in the profession;
4. Not have been convicted in any jurisdiction of a crime which reflects unfavorably on the fitness of the individual to act as a guard, unless the conviction has been annulled or expunged by court order; provided that the individual shall submit to a national criminal history record check as authorized by federal law, including, but not limited to the Private Security Officer Employment Authorization Act of 2004, and specified in the rules of the Board.
5. Successfully complete eight (8) hours of classroom instruction given by a Board approved instructor on a Board approved curricula before the first day of service; and
6. Four (4) hours of classroom instruction biennially thereafter.